VF Team Role:
- Personal Injury Attorney working in the Colorado & Oregon Offices
- Child Sexual Abuse Survivor Representation against
- Scouting organizations
- Government agencies
- Youth-serving companies and entities (Big Brothers/Sisters, Fitness facilities, Sports clubs)
- Adult sexual assault survivor representation (Massage facilities, College sexual assault investigations)
- Appellate representation
- Property rights/condemnation Landowner representation
- Rights of the Deaf Against government entities
- Premises liability
- Firearms rights representation (expungement, concealed licensing disputes—NOTE: no criminal law representation)
Kristian has been at the forefront of representing survivors of sexual abuse and assault for 17 years. He has helped make the law in Oregon some of the best in the nation for survivors of abuse, and now brings that experience to Colorado while maintaining his practice in Oregon.
Education and Accolades:
- D., Northwestern School of Law, Lewis & Clark College, 2001
- A., Cum Laude University of South Florida, Political Science, 1996
- Super Lawyer — Oregon, 2018 — Personal Injury/Plaintiff
- Super Lawyer Rising Star — Oregon, 2011 – 2013 — Personal Injury/Plaintiff
- Barton Advocacy Boot Camp — Class of 2015
- Cornelius Honor Society, Lewis & Clark Law School — 2001
- National Crime Victim’s Bar Association — Amicus Committee, 2017 – Present
- Oregon Trial Lawyers Association — Amicus Committee, 2011 – Present
- Pioneer Courthouse Historical Society — Secretary, 2013 – July 2018; Board Member, August 2018 – Present
- Federalist Society — President, Portland Lawyers Chapter, 2003 – July 2018
- Oregon State Bar — Chair, Procedures and Practice Committee, January 2017 – January 2018; Secretary, 2016 – 2017
- United States Commission on Civil Rights, Oregon State Advisory Committee — Member, 2010 – 2014
- Oregon State Bar
- Colorado State Bar
- United States Supreme Court Bar
- United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Bar
- Oregon District Court Bar
- Colorado District Court Bar
- Past Pro hac vice admissions: U.S. District Court for Washington, U.S. District Court for Idaho, Supreme Court of Missouri, Washington Court of Appeals, Michigan Trial Courts
Articles & Presentations:
- Chapter 4: Torts Arising from Child Sexual Abuse, co-authored with Kelly Clark and William A. Barton, BAR BOOK ON TORTS, (Oregon State Bar, August, 2012).
- Of Compelling Interest—Religious Liberty Issues in the Priest Abuse Cases, co-authored with Kelly Clark and Peter Janci, 85 OREGON LAW REVIEW 481 (2007).
- ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 30:3 Case Notes (for attribution see Errata 30:4 Editor’s Note).
- Non-Economic and Punitive Damages — Multnomah Bar Association CLE (April 3, 2018)
- The Law of Eminent Domain — Oregon Land Law for Civil Engineers and Land Surveyors CLE (2007)
When not in the office, Kristian is most likely outdoors with his wife Heather and children Heidi and Stefan, exploring Colorado’s wild places. Kristian is an avid hiker, mushroom hunter, whitewater rafter, snowboarder, long distance rifle shooter, occasional boulderer, and part-time chauffer for his children’s mountain bike races or lacrosse games.